3.08.2007

"The Michigan Promise"

As I have been preparing for college, I am somewhat familiar with the government red tape associated with the financial aid process for federal aid, but now, state aid (from Michigan) has the red tape flying up all around it too. Governor Jennifer Granholm has decided that the State of Michigan needs to get an educated workforce and that it is the job of the government to do so. Wow! Great idea, Governor! How are you going to do this? The answer: by restricting potentially amazing international students to Michigan schools.

I understand fully the ideas behind Governor Granholm's approach- by providing funding to Michigan students, naturally, many will want to stay in Michigan to receive that funding. I, however, prefer to go against the flow and have decided to go to Washington, D.C. What happens to a student like me? A student that needs access to the Federal Government and the resources that Washington, D.C. alone can provide to him?

He gets screwed over by the government. Because I need the resources outside of Michigan, I am an evil student in the eyes of the state government. I am escaping the clutches of our state- heaven forbid! What is Michigan to do? Perhpas by supporting students regardless of where they go, Michigan can paint a good and supportive picture of its education policy. Hey, it is too late for me, though- I wrote the Governor's office and everything. My response from her: "Dear Marcus... My staff and I wish to thank you for your interest in this matter. I want you to know that education is important... blah... blah... blah." The same old political answer. I had hoped for better.

No comments: